Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Voltaire's perfect Religion

Long, now, have I struggled (both inwardly and through outward expressions) with the religion of my father. I've often found it to be contentious, overly simplistic, and generally uncharitbable, in spite of the supremely kind temprament of it's practitioners.

In reading A History of God, I've come across a quote from Voltaire which seems to express eloquently the ideal religion for which I long:

From Philosophical Dictionary:

Would it not be that which tought much morality and very little dogma? that which tended to make men just without making them absurd? that which did not order men to believe in things that are impossible, contradictory, injurious to divinity, and pernicious to mankind, and which dared not menace with eternal punishment anyone posessing common sense? Would it not be one which did not uphold its belief with exocutioners, and did not innundate the earth with blood on account of unintelligable sophism? ... which tought only the worship of one God, justice, tolerance, and humanity?

No comments:

DBT-50000 when using DBCA.bat on Windows (Oracle 19.11)

I’ve been having some trouble getting DBCA to run in order to create databases. Thought I’d share it with you, and thus document it for la...