Monday, March 09, 2009

the church as a catalyst for spiritual growth

Bruce Lee quotes
I Like this quote "A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."


Those of you who know me know that I am not one who believes in the church as anything more than a mixed bag, often containing more sour than sweet. However, I've come to believe that when it's put in its correct place as a bunch of people reaching in their own flawed ways for something divine, I DO believe that it can be a powerful catalyst for spiritual growth.

I should take the time to state this more clearly, but essentially, I'm trying to say that even being outraged by church people and leaders teaches me things and exercise my heart-for-God:
1 - Am I tolerant of their foibles?
2 - Am I patient with them?
3 - Do I hold them in the love and respect properly bestowed on men and women created in the image of almighty God?
4 - Am I expanding my capability to gently correct flawed perspectives or nudge people to challenge themselves to see other views?
etc. etc. etc.
5 - Do I extend them the same grace and refusal to judge that I would extend a "sinner"?

Sorry - someday when it's not late and I'm not exhausted I'll come back to this and state it more clearly.


No comments:

DBT-50000 when using DBCA.bat on Windows (Oracle 19.11)

I’ve been having some trouble getting DBCA to run in order to create databases. Thought I’d share it with you, and thus document it for la...